In 2016 Killary Adventure Co was awarded Winner of the Best Small Business Category at the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland Awards. This was a wonderful recognition to receive for a process which began many years earlier and involved much trial and error, some successes and many adjustments. Here is an outline of our endeavours to protect this incredible natural environment in which we operate by sustainability practices and green initiatives:
- 2000 Construction of the new Killary Adventure Centre accommodation building which was completed using the latest sustainable techniques at the time. It was the first building in Galway to have a growing grass roof and reed bed filtration system for waste water.
- 2001 Installation of the first wind turbine on the site of our accommodation base. It was a 15 KW proven turbine later reduced to 11KW due to a technical fault with the turbine.
- 2003 Installation of recycling bring centre on site for use by our business and the local community.
- 2011 Pumping of all exterior walls in the accommodation block with bead insulation to improve our U value and aid in reducing our gas bill.
- 2012 Installation of 200kw biomass boiler to heat the accommodation and dining areas and to provide hot water for the entire building.
- 2015 Replacement of the original wind turbine with a smaller 6kw unit due to lightning strike on the existing unit.
- 2015 Purchase of electric golf buggy to provide more eco-friendly transport for staff and materials between our two sites.
- 2015 Gradual change over of traditional lighting to LED units with a completion date of 2020 for completion.
- 2016 Changing room showers were changed from electric heating to instant gas water heaters.
- 2016 Installation of ‘Ridan’ composting system which now takes 100% of our food waste.
- 2016 Winners of the Best Small Business Category at the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland Awards.