Wilderness Journey Camps at Killary
- The Wilderness Journey Camp is a 7 day/7 night camp which includes the 5 day Wilderness Journey
- Dates are available throughout June, July and August 2017
- It is suitable for children aged 13 - 17 years
- Arrival time to all camps is on a Sunday between 4pm and 6pm for dinner
- Departure from the camps is at 10am after breakfast on the following Sunday
- You can drop your child off or avail of our escorted travel at an extra charge
Let us bring your children on a journey of adventure, discovery, fun and excitement. 5 days of journeying by foot, bicycle, kayak and speedboat through the most spectacular parts of Mayo and Galway with our experienced guides. They will gain skills in kayaking, navigation, camping, bushcraft and planning and most of all they will have an incredible holiday in the Irish outdoors.
Rates and Dates for 2017:
Have a look at our full list of dates and prices for our 2017 Wilderness Journey Camps at Killary.
Supervision and safety:
- 24 hour supervision as standard
- CCTV throughout the public areas of the Killary Adventure Centre accommodation base
- All instructors Garda-vetted
- All instructors trained in Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children's Sport
- All instructors qualified in Remote Emergency Care
- All instructors in-house trained and certified by National Governing Bodies of each outdoor adventure sport
- Strict safety procedures in place as per National Governing Bodies and equipment suppliers, regarding ratios and operating standards
Activities: view all activities
The first 2 days of the camp will be spent preparing for the Wilderness Journey and learning new skills which will be used during the following 5 days. The Wilderness Journey will involve traveling by foot over hills and along trails, cycling along the Great Western Greenway, Kayaking on Killary Fjord and climbing Croagh Patrick. Campers will also get to abseil and coasteer along dramatic shorelines on the way. Each night will be spent camping on magnificent beaches and all of the skills needed for the journey will be experienced by the children.
Sample Programme for 7 Day Wilderness Journey Camp
These run from 7.30pm to 10pm each evening and involve a wide range of games, challenges and fun activities. They could include Challenge Night, Puzzles and Memory Games, Quiz Night, Treasure Hunt, Team Games, Plays/Improvisation, Beach BBQ & Campfire, Talent Show and Ball Games. Our instructors are specially trained to make this time as constructive, fun and inclusive as possible.
Accommodation includes 4 nights camping and 3 nights staying at Killary Adventure Centre. Have a look at all of the information and photos on our cosy Killary Adventure Centre accommodation base.
**Note - for the nights camping there will not be any power sockets to charge cellphones**
What is included:
Accommodation, all meals, equipment and guides for their entire camp with Killary. All activities are included in the camp price - there are no extra charges for activities.
We now offer an escorted pick-up and drop-off service for campers traveling from Galway, Athlone, Dublin and Dublin airport, at an extra charge.
How to book:
Booking is now open for all 2017 Killary Summer Camps. Residential summer camps can be booked online or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with details. To make a booking for a non-residential camp you can call 09543411 or email email@example.com with details. If you would like to chat to us first about the camp please do not hesitate to call Linda on 095 43411.
Closer to the time of the camp:
Parents we are sure you will have lots of questions when it comes to preparing for your child's Wilderness Journey Camp so we have compiled as much detail as we can in our Parent Information Guide.
The Top 5 highlights of the Killary Wilderness Journey Camp that your child will experience:
- Learning outdoor skills which they will get to use on the journey including navigation, bushcraft and kayaking.
- The chance to work together as part of a team with a common goal and make new friends along the way.
- Camping in some of the most stunning locations on Ireland's west coast.
- Physical challenges which will stretch their boundaries and build their confidence.
- The excitement and fun of true outdoor adventure!
It's an amazing camp where you get to meet new people, do lots of fun activities, and sleep under the stars! Overall, it's a 10 out of 10, the best camp ever!!!
Jamie - August 2015
The instructors were really cool and the best activities were the coasteering and surfing. It was a fun, exciting experience and a good way to meet new people.
Jack - August 2015