Born and raised in the west of Ireland Shane has been playing in the outdoors since he was born. Having also lived in New Zealand and Argentina he has fostered a love of wild places. This is only sated by various trips across the world in search of out of the way places such as Georgia and the Connemara mountains!
Having played professional rugby in Argentina along with skippering ‘The Killary Flyer’ across the North Atlantic to Greenland, Shane knows what it takes to be a part of an elite team.
Here are some of the experiences Shane brings to team training:
- 2017- Colombian Amazon - Chiribiqute National Park - Journey to the Sistine chapel of the Amazon
- Captained youngest team in 3 day adventure race Gaelforce 12 in both 2006 and 2007
- Came second in the Three Peaks Yacht Race aboard the ‘Killary Flyer’
- Competed in and finished the 2012 Devises to Westminster 125 mile canoe race
- Competed in numerous adventure races across the country including the Mourne Mountain Marathon
- Skippered ‘Killary Flyer’ from Galway across 1800 miles of the North Atlantic to Uppernavik in Greenland and while there completed a 500km kayak trip as part of a 4 person team
- Played top level Argentinean rugby
- Spent 6 months living and working in New Zealand and 1.5 years in Argentina.
- Captained Trinity University Senior 1st rugby team for 2 years in All-Ireland League
- Grew up and now works in Killary Adventure Company in Leenane, Co Galway
- Course designer for the inaugural Gaelforce Events Mountain Run 2015