Bronze and Silver Gaisce Award Programmes
Killary Adventure is a recognised Gaisce teaching establishment which can facilitate the Adventure Journey walking section of the award for your group.
Supervision and safety:
- 24 hour supervision as standard
- CCTV throughout the Killary Adventure Centre accommodation base
- All instructors Garda-vetted
- All instructors Child Protection trained/certified
- All instructors qualified in Remote Emergency Care
- All instructors in-house trained and certified by National Governing Bodies of each outdoor adventure sport
- Strict safety procedures in place as per National Governing Bodies and equipment suppliers, regarding ratios and operating standards
Teachers & leaders:
With 24 hour supervision included, teachers and leaders can be as involved in the students' programme as they wish. You are welcome to take part in all activities with the students or alternatively we will be happy to assist you if you want to explore the area or visit the local village in the evenings.
Killary offers the following to all teachers and leaders:
- free places
- complimentary seaweed bath at Connemara Baths, cruise on the Connemara Lady in Killary Harbour and use of top-quality bicycles (seasonal availability)
- work/relaxation room with WiFi, Nespresso coffee machine, our famous homemade flapjacks and the best view in the building!
- separate double bedrooms
What is involved:
The Adventure Journey Walks for both the Bronze and Silver awards can be facilitated at Killary. The Bronze award involves a walk of 25 – 35km while the Silver award involves walking 50 – 79km in total.
Preparation for the Bronze Award:
As part of the Bronze Award students must plan, prepare and undertake a 2 day, 1 night Adventure Journey in a group covering a minimum total distance of walking 25 – 35 km over 2 consecutive days. Student involvement in the organisation of the trip is encouraged.
The following is required of the group before attempting this part of the award:
- a basic level of fitness
- a willingness to get into the spirit of the adventure
- a desire to complete the challenge that is laid out before them
- a willingness to commit to preparing for the trip.
Killary suggests a 6 week development programme prior to undertaking either walk. Contact Mona for a training programme for your group.
Accommodation: view accommodation
The Killary Adventure Centre accommodation base has 4 and 6 bedded ensuite dorm-style rooms, drying facilities, extra showers, dining and recreation spaces and separate teacher areas. Bed linen is provided. Camping facilities will be available at K2 in the near future.
Rates: view rates
|12.45pm||Arrive at Killary Adventure Centre for welcome and introduction|
|13.00 - 14.00||Lunch in Killary Adventure Centre|
|14.00 - 17.00||Introduction to Gaisce walk including terrain, map reading and gear. Walk begins.|
|17.00 - 18.00||Showers and chill-out time|
|18.00 - 19.00||Dinner in Killary Adventure Centre|
|19.00 - 22.30||Evening programme including further preparation for the remainder of the walk on the following day|
|23.00||Lights out for all|
|08.30 - 09.30||Breakfast|
|10.00 - 17.00||Participants continue with planned walk, bringing packed lunch and all gear needed for a full day walk|
|17.00 – 17.15||Showers & depart Killary|
Silver & Gold Awards
Contact Mona (Killary)
How to book: how to book
Contact reservations with any questions you might have or to check availability and make a booking. Speak to Linda on 095 43411 or email email@example.com